Home > Sales > Selling Your Fashion Designs Online

Selling Your Fashion Designs Online

By: Jennie Kermode - Updated: 18 Aug 2017 | comments*Discuss

Clothing Business Women Business Of

Every year, more and more people involved in the business of fashion try to sell clothing online. In such a crowded marketplace, how can you make your own business a success? The women who make up the bulk of this marketplace are continually bombarded with advertising, but the fact is that even when they visit heavily promoted websites they don't always make purchases there. To improve your sales, you need to put yourself in their position and think about what they want out of a clothing site.

The business of selling online is still controversial in fashion circles. Some designers feel that it cheapens their work, reducing the sense of exclusivity attached to their products. Such people often prefer to use online promotional pages featuring contact details or the names of retail outlets rather than selling directly. If you're working in high end fashion, this is an option you should consider. For most designers,however, online sales now make up an invaluable portion of revenue.

Make it Easy

If you do decide to operate a direct sales website, the number one rule is that you should make it easy to use. Women are often less confident about their computer skills than men, so it's particularly important not to put them off with an overly complicated interface. Think about the things you would want from a clothing site if you were inexperienced in shopping on the web. There are several factors you should prioritise:-

• Clear categorisation-Make it easy for visitors to your site to find the particular items they're looking for. This doesn't mean that you can't tempt them with impulse buys at the same time. You can, for instance, suggest similarly styled or complementary items on the sales page for a particular piece of clothing.
  • Illustrations-These should not only be flattering, they should be informative. Make sure you show not just the front but the back of the garment. Think about what you would want to know about it before buying. You only need one image on your catalogue page, but the item page should have more.
  • Further Information- What would you normally be able to find out in a shop, by touching and moving clothing, that you can't find out from an image? Describe the fabric (being mysterious will put off people with allergies and skin sensitivities). Note details like the number of pockets a garment has and how it fastens.
  • One-click shopping-Once people have decided to buy, they don't want to have to mess about. Your shopping system should enable them to purchase the garment with as little effort as possible. Requiring registration means delays and will put some customers off, but it's worth offering a more streamlined process to registered customers so that they don't have to enter their details every time.
  • Security- Make sure that your payment system is a secure as possible, and that it looks secure. Customers will be uncomfortable about handing over their credit card details otherwise. Provide guarantees and, if possible, a return policy, so that customers can be confident that their purchases will arrive promptly and in good condition.

Keep 'Em Coming Back for More

If a customer has been willing to buy from you once, the chances are that they'll be willing to buy from you again. With so many online clothing sites out there, however, there's a risk that they'll forget where yours is - or even that it exists at all!

To keep customers coming back, it's a good idea to encourage them to register with you and, ideally, to sign up for a mailing list. You can make this list worth their while by offering discounts and access to an exclusive fashion blog. Emphasise that it's free to join and use it to keep them updated about new additions to your site.

The business of fashion is always competitive, but good service is a great way to win loyal customers. There are still a lot of women out there who find shopping online intimidating, so it's your job to show them that it can be a positive experience, no more risky or difficult than shopping on the high street. Give them what they want, and they'll give you great online sales.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
Hello I am done my Bachelor infashion designing Degree in 2007 but i am not able to work on fashion industry because of i am workingwith BPO, but my fashion designing models s caches are good and i want to sell it, please help me. Thanks you.
Bruce - 18-Aug-17 @ 4:48 PM
Hello I am a fashion designer from Africa,Ghana preciseand would like know how I can sell my products online.please Need your advice and directions. Thank you.
Iman - 5-Aug-17 @ 10:39 PM
I also need advice on selling my designs online...and good marketing
Fenny - 21-Jun-17 @ 12:06 AM
I want start a business of selling my design of dress and jewellery. What is the process how I joined you
cherry - 20-Jun-17 @ 9:39 AM
Wow...it's fantastic.. We can sell our design and creations it's amazing..it's really a great platform for the talented people like us. But what we have to do to sell our items?
Nemo - 5-Jun-17 @ 10:16 AM
Hey! I am a college student , I have beautiful dress designs and I want to sell them online. I need your help on how I can sell them
Tinah - 23-May-17 @ 3:39 PM
hi I'm I want to be a fashion designer but have no help please help me
loch - 18-May-17 @ 11:11 AM
Hi, I'm student of fashion Desinging, I have many new design for women garment and for modals, I want sell this online advice nd help me how nd where I can sell my design sketch.
Ruby - 28-Apr-17 @ 7:32 PM
hello.......im a student,bt i have a good talent in desing and art ,i jst wanted the platform to move forward in this and moreover if anyone interested can borrow my designs
Mahmuda - 14-Apr-17 @ 10:22 AM
hello.......im a student,bt i have a good talent in sketching the dresses of models,i jst wanted the platform to move forward in this and moreover if anyone interested can borrow my designs
guneet - 9-Apr-17 @ 7:28 AM
Hi I am fashion designer I have beautiful fashion sketches I wanna sell them online please help where I can sell Poonam
Neetu - 2-Mar-17 @ 8:50 AM
Hi I am a fashion designer I have beautiful fashion sketches I want sell this online please advice and help me how and where I can sell my fashion designer sketches Poonam
Neetu - 2-Mar-17 @ 8:46 AM
I'm student of fashion designing, I'm good at making fashion illustrations of womens garments, as it is my passion to sketch creative illustrations I want to open my own label and sell my illustrations online. So can you provide information for how to start it online
Anne - 18-Feb-17 @ 4:47 PM
I am hoping to sell my dresses drawn and colored, to someone who might like and use them. I draw simple modest but, attractive ones.I wanted a line of my own but, I don't have the time, or knowhow. It would be a simple transaction.I person or company that knows what they want and how much they would consider paying.They could chose a price and I will see. I have not sold any.I just decided to try this idea online.I could deal through mail.Photo a few through text message attachment and receive money order after agreement signature to return or keep and buy however many choose. People tell me they are pretty.Some are long, some are calf length.
Nita - 6-Feb-17 @ 2:26 AM
Hello Im. Lovies like to sell my fashion design sketches like any fashion for woman... wedding gowns, Evening gowns and other casual clothing that I sketch.Wanna know if you interestedto buy those sketch and for how much cause each file has it's prize
Lovies - 6-Jan-17 @ 7:49 AM
Hello..i am kanhun me frm in dia.i'm not a fashion designer but i like to do design for fashion cloth ni have some beautiful gown design..so i want to sell my design sketch. .plss help me...
kanhu - 5-Jan-17 @ 8:53 AM
I would like to sell my beautiful sketches of women's clothing . Casual and evening wear. It's great !!!!
Auset - 26-Dec-16 @ 9:54 PM
I want to sell my sketched designs....they would be perfect for anyone....give me a one chance only .........
Shilpa - 18-Nov-16 @ 6:32 AM
hi.i would like to know how to open an online store where i'll be able to sell my fashion sketches. i dream of having my own clothing label one day and that is why i need professional advice.are there websides that i can look into? plz help
ntosh - 5-Nov-16 @ 1:04 PM
Plzzzzzzz tell me how to sell.I am of14 even....
Komal - 17-Sep-16 @ 10:36 AM
Hi! I am komal,i have a big interest to design dresses from simple to royal.Even my is to become a Fashion Designer.I have designed my own dresses and wanted to sell.Plzzzzzzz tell that how to sell
Komal - 17-Sep-16 @ 10:35 AM
Hi Im angel from india. not a designer,But a awesome designer. Very Pasionate and full of ideas. Im desiging since i was 16. Just wana sell my design please help! i want to sell my design sketch but how tell me plz
angel - 11-Sep-16 @ 8:14 PM
I'm a student & I wish to sell my fabulous & spectacular sketched dress designs for women... Thanks
Thierry - 3-Sep-16 @ 7:36 PM
I'm a fashion designer, I have many sketches of womens wear garment, n I dont know how I can sell them! My job is wedding dress designer.
zarihq - 22-Aug-16 @ 6:41 AM
I want to sell my sketched designs....they would be perfect for anyone....
muaaz - 29-Jul-16 @ 10:19 AM
Hey! Im Salman from india. not a designer,But a awesome designer. Very Pasionate and full of ideas. Im desiging since iwas 14. Just wana sell my design please help!
Ron - 24-Jul-16 @ 6:41 PM
i want to sell my design sketch
aaruhi - 15-Jun-16 @ 10:24 AM
Hii. . I completed fashion designing.Nd my sketches are awesome. Nd I was ready them of some garments. But I like much sketches. Nd So many illustrations are ready by me. I want to sell them. Plzzz help me..
Damini - 7-Jun-16 @ 10:18 AM
hello i am an freelance fashion designer, 52 years old , i need to help me how i can sell my designs online?? thank you for your attention
kaykia - 2-Jun-16 @ 5:18 PM
Hii...I am a fashion student and i have many sketches of womens wear garment.. soo i want to sell my sketches if anbody interested plz email me...
SR - 16-May-16 @ 8:46 AM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
Title:
(never shown)
Firstname:
(never shown)
Surname:
(never shown)
Email:
(never shown)
Nickname:
(shown)
Comment:
Validate:
Enter word:
Topics
Latest Comments
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the StartAFashionBusiness website. Please read our Disclaimer.